Spirulina coconut and date balls, I hear you cry! What is this green goddess? Well as part of my continued mission to eat healthy, I thought I would give spirulina a try. Spirulina is a plant based protein and part of the algae family. It will give your body a nice dose of antioxidants and your brain a shot of folate which will help it function well.
I’ve also added dates which are great if you need an energy boost, coconut for releasing sugar slowly and my favourite health kick linseed for digestion. I’ve been adding linseed to my breakfast most mornings, even on my poached eggs on toast got some.
So why not try making spirulina coconut and date balls and see if these lovely green balls can help you when you need a treat and a healthy one at that. Careful don’t to eat them all, you’ll soon be bouncing around your house.
Makes: 20 balls
Prep Time: 1 hour
Spirulina coconut and date balls
- 250g dates
- 250g coconut
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 165ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of linseed
- 1 tablespoon of spirulina
- I enjoy chopping up my dates before putting into the food processor.
- Add the coconut and the linseed.
- Juice the lemon over the mixture.
- Add the spirulina.
- Add half of the coconut milk and I found it was good to use the rest as I was mixing, just to see if I was happy with the consistency.
- Mix all the ingredients until you see a consistent green colour, it’s rather nice to look at.
- Then add this to a plastic container and pop in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Take a tablespoon of your mixture and roll in to a ball. Keep going until you have used all the mixture.
If you would like to share your colourful ideas with me, use #eatsleepcolour