I’ve been dreaming about apple sauce, chocolate and apples – must be Christmas. This time of year is perfect for a hot drink and my dark apple spice hot chocolate will make you want to get the fire going and put on a Christmas movie like the Muppets Christmas Carol, love it. My favourite Christmas movie, as well as The Holiday (fab) and It’s a Wonderful Life (makes me cry a little).
I used Bournvill for the dark chocolate part, as it has sugar in it and you could use a dark chocolate with a higher cocoa amount. I did the same with the apple sauce and made sure it had no extra sugar either and I’ve also not added any extra sugar, as you will discover the dreaminess of this hot drink doesn’t need it but you could swap the dark chocolate with milk chocolate if you prefer a little sweetness.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Dark Apple Spice Hot Chocolate
- 280g dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 80g apple sauce
- 500ml skimmed milk
- Break up the dark chocolate in a microwaveable jug, microwave for three minutes. Stir halfway to ensure all the chocolate melts.
- Add the cinnamon and apple sauce, give it a good stir until it merges together.
- Then add the double cream and stir again until it’s all mixed together. It will look nice, dark and glossy.
- Take the milk and heat up in the microwave for about three minutes. Then slowly add this to your chocolate mix and give it a good stir.
- Pour into large mugs, you could add a stick of cinnamon as a decoration. Enjoy the dreaminess!
If you loved this dark apple spice hot chocolate and you would like to share your colourful ideas with me, use #eatsleepcolour